Friday 22 November 2019

Autumn - Rest and Replenish the Earth


We're having a proper Autumn that's for sure with a good measure of wind and rain . Some are having more of their fair share of it , with the misery of flooding , my heart goes out to you .


 I met a new friend in the village this week . She had offered to share some of her Heritage seeds that she has saved with anyone who might be interested .
  Well , naturally I was very interested and how nice to find someone else in the village as passionate about veg growing as me !
 She gave me a very generous bundle of very interesting seeds ( it was like Christmas ! ) and I gave her some of mine and will be doing some cuttings a bit later on to share too . 
   I,m getting that wonderful excited and itchy feeling that keen veg gardeners get ..... I just cant wait to start seed sowing again !  I also cant wait to go and see her veg garden !
  She came and I gave her a little tour around my veg garden, which at first I thought oh ! no !  It is not the prettiest sight to see at this gloomy old time of the year......but then thought..actually , it's not so bad , I,m doing o.k with it and have plenty of things growing away out there in my living larder .
  Right now in my veg garden , I have Brussel Sprouts, Onions, leeks, celery, Purple Sprouting Broccoli , garlic , several kale varieties and parsley . In the Veg Trug I,m growing lots of Spring onions and lettuces ..although the lettuces are struggling a bit now .
 I could sow broad-beans now , but they got so covered in black-fly last year, it rather put me off growing them again .
The herb garden is a total unruly mess ....but that's herbs for you ..that is how they like to be . O.K. so I need to tame it a little !
  So everything is just growing away nicely and doesn't require much attention .
Seed sowing will begin again for me in January/February when I start off with the Leek seeds , then comes the time for sowing tomatoes and peppers and then before you know it , Spring arrives and we are all very busy once again into the new growing season .....


......but now it is Autumn and this is the time to rest and replenish the Earth .


There was a good long gap between the showers of rain and I took the opportunity to get outside and sweep up the precious beech leaves .


 Beech leaves make such a healthy mulch for the earth , they break down beautifully over the Winter months , the worms love them , taking them down deeply and creating beautiful nutritious compost .


 I filled two wheelbarrow loads and tipped them all onto the African Keyhole Veg Bed where I am layering all kinds of good things to feed the good Earth .
 Next year I will be growing Butternuts here again , they did so well the last time I grew them in this bed .  We love Butternuts !


 By this time it was getting dark . My eyes adjust and I didn't realise how dark it was until I came indoors .


 Egyptian Walking Onions , are doing well , dropping their fat bundles of red bulbils all around . They are enjoying all the rain and are getting their roots down fast .

             The sky is very dark and more heavy rain is forecast tonight ....


                              ......and tomorrow ......and the next day .....


       Through our cottage window , our Christmas tree lights are twinkling .


                             Time to go in and have a nice hot cup of tea !

2 comments:

  1. I think your fingers will be itching for quite some time yet. Great to find a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post and pictures. Lucky you being given some heritage seeds. xx

    ReplyDelete