Monday 1 July 2019

Vegetable Garden update


                White rabbits ! We say for luck on the first of the month  !
 Flaming June has come and gone . Hardly any rain . Scorching hot sun but with weather warnings for strong wind . Yes ! The wind was strong and as we drove around we saw branches and leaves strewn around as if  it were Autumn !


 The meadow was cut and dried in record time , we came home to see it all baled up .

  The wind has stopped and it is very hot again . We walked across the meadow .


 You can see the winding pathway that we cut to walk through the long grass up to the pic-nic tables .


                             The hay bales are huge and smell wonderful !


                          At last ! The courgettes are nearly ready to pick .


  I have several courgette plants , we love our Courgettes . The Butternut Squash plants are being a bit slow to get going . I don't think they've enjoyed being blasted by that cruel wind .


 Peas !  We have had a bumper harvest this year , sweet and delicious .


               Celery....doing really well ....nice to have in our wraps !


                               Romaine Lettuces have been wonderful .


 The strange weather has made some of my Purple Sprouting Broccoli begin to flower ....we harvested these and ate them ....so good and still lots more to come .


 A beautiful Carrot flower..just one that I missed pulling up last year....I left it for the bees ....and maybe I 'll remember to collect the seed !


 Romaine  Lettuce and some of the Purple  Sprouting  Broccoli that I cut for our dinner .
 I harvested all of my Autumn planted Onions the other day and they are just drying off now in the shed ....we used one and sometimes two large onions every day of the year ... I am really pleased with these ...sorry no pic . The other onions ,  white and red , are coming along really well now too. We will harvest those end of the Summer for storing over Winter .


 The Sprouts are getting so tall, the best I,ve ever grown. I can even see tiny sprouts beginning to come .....Wow ! Maybe I planted them too early..but these will go into the freezer for over Winter dinners . We love to eat the Sprout tops and leaves too . Nothing wasted ! I am very disappointed however with the fleece that I bought on the internet , which is just disintegrating and my plants are just pushing through the nasty stuff .....which means they now have no protection from the cabbage white butterflies laying their eggs on them . I just cant afford to buy anymore environmesh right now . I,m looking in charity shops for old net curtains as an alternative ....but, even though I know it's for a good cause , charity shops are becoming quite expensive now too .
 The Runnerbeans were bashed about quite a bit in the strange gales we,ve been having .... but are beginning to flower .
 Same with the French Beans , I had to gently rewind them back onto their supporting poles and carefully tie some of them in again . They are so fragile ! The good news is , that they do seem to be recovering from baby wabbit nibblings ! New leaves and shoots are growing out from the leaf joints .
 Chicken wire was a good investment ..so long as it is fastened down really well.....then we can live in harmony with the little creatures .
 
   White rabbits to you all  !   ( just not inside my vegetable garden please !  :) )


                         Time for a cup of tea !   Cheerio for now !   xxx

2 comments:

  1. We seem to be way behind everyone else. Oh dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's all looking and sounding good despite the weather. xx

    ReplyDelete