Monday 8 July 2019

New Epies ! Hooray !


So after a brilliant display of Epiphyllum flowers up in the greenhouse throughout May and a good month of clipping , tidying , re-potting and taking lots of Epie cuttings through June , I decided to treat myself to a few new ones .
 I have been following a great Youtube channel - "Treasures of Plantz " Where  we have been doing a Plant Swap .I swapped a rooted piece of my Epiphyllum "Purple Delight " for a very generous piece of his Epiphyllum "Bonanza Belle".
Hey ! George in Cambridge I have found it a nice yellow flowery pot and put it up on my  North facing window at the top of the stairs , as you  can see it  has lots of friends ! :) Thankyou  George ! :) x


                               Oh ! My Goodness !  Another parcel !

                                       
                                              So beautifully packed .
                                       Wow ! Stand back everybody !
                                                 Because this is........


                                               ......Marilyn Monroe !


 Yes ! A big thankyou to Beverley in Falmouth for sending me such a generous size plant . I am really looking forward to seeing the lovely pink flowers on this gorgeous Epiphyllum .
 Beverley I hope you are well and enjoying your Epies and the glorious sunshine  we,ve been having . I will post a picture of this again when it flowers as promised !  :) x

 I spent Saturday morning going around the charity shops in Helston looking for a nice pot to put her in..and of course ...it had to be pink ! 


 So move over everybody , make way for Epiphyllum "Marilyn Monroe" !
           Not much space left on this windowsill . They make me happy !  :)


Another parcel !  All the way from Ireland from my friend Paula ...furry friends and Cadbury the Guinea-pig  :)  I hope you are well . I have potted up your generous unrooted cuttings of Rhypsalis eliptica and will be misting them as you have instructed me .They are going to make a beautiful plant when they get  going ! Thankyou Paula :) x


I propagate seeds , seedlings and unrooted cuttings on my tiny North facing bathroom window , it is always nice and warm in there . I have the most success in propagating things here .
 Yes , I know the windows need cleaning !........sigh....tomorrow !   :)


 Talking of seeds .... I am growing Wittia amazonica from 10 teeny tiny  seeds , which I sowed on the 24th June 2019 ..so yes ..only a few days ago .


                     .....and look ......can you see what I can see  ?


 I took the bag off , to give it a gentle spritz of room temp water and have a closer look .

 I quickly took some photos for my own records and replaced the still warm zip lock bag .


There are three seedlings germinated and some of the others are stirring on the surface of the compost . Mostly sharply draining cactus and partly general purpose potting compost ....which I nuked in the microwave to sterilise it .
 I have germinated Epie seeds in regular potting compost but these are quite precious seeds of quite a hard to find plant . They are related to Epiphyllums and look almost the same . They are to be found in the rain forests along the Amazon . When conditions are right ,it has stunningly beautiful blue and pink flowers at every node along the "leaf" or flattened stem .


     I hope I can pull these through ..it is said to be a tricky one to grow .
                 I think this is probably the most difficult period !


 There were 10 seeds in the packet . I set them down as carefully as I could on the surface of the compost . I could see what looked like  some other even tinier seeds in amongst them . Actually I can see them in this picture , if  you zoom in , you can see some of them scattered around my plant label . I wonder what these might be ?


           It is so exciting and so fascinating growing such rare plants from seed .
  It's late....sorry about all my spelling mistakes ...I,m tired ....off to bed now !
              Dreaming about being in the Amazonian rain forest  ...... zzzzzzzz

No comments:

Post a Comment