Tuesday 16 July 2019

Parodia magnifica loveliness !



I found this lovely chunky glass vase with two cacti growing in it at a boot fair in Falmouth about 20 years ago . I kept meaning to re-pot them , but never got around to it . At the time it had a dried flower glued on top , which I was lucky enough to peel off without damaging the crown .  Ever since then , it has been quite happy and flowered  nearly every year with these gorgeous , silky pale lemon -yellow blooms .


                                       It has a slight sweet fragrance .

                                                Parodia magnifica
It comes from the grasslands of South America - Brazil , Paraguay , Uruguay and Argentina . In it's natural habitat it experiences the hot sun by day although it prefers and gets some partial shade by grasses, but the nights can be very cold . So it is quite a tough plant and does just fine in my unheated greenhouse here in Cornwall England .
 I never seem to notice the buds forming and the flowers always surprise and delight me .

                     It is tucked away towards the back of my greenhouse .
                      Rather neglected I,m afraid .....along with those giant Opuntias .


                               This morning I noticed that it has babies !


I think the time has come to give it a nice new pot and some fresh compost . 
I have no idea what the other cactus is , but it is not looking very happy .
The vase is lovely , but not really the right thing for growing a cactus in  .
I am going to have a think about it and see what I can do for them tomorrow .
 The weather is still unbearably hot and I,m finding it hard keeping up with watering the vegetable garden which has priority over everything else at the moment .
  We badly need rain , I will take out as many of my plants as I can from the greenhouse to catch the next rainfall and give it a good clean  .

 

No comments:

Post a Comment