Saturday 1 June 2019

Mothers Union Mullion - Open Afternoon in St Mellanus Church


Well I got back from our trip to the dentist in Truro , just in time for my husband to drop me off to attend the Mothers Union Open Afternoon at St Mellanus Church in  Mullion .
 I met up with Wendy Williamson , who filled me in with all the history of the Mothers Union on the way in .
  Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me , as I hadn't expected to be able to be back from Truro in time .
 It was very well attended by ladies of all ages and I noticed a couple of gentleman too .
 After a short prayer of thanks to God , we were invited to take some refreshment , cups of tea and cakes and to sit back in our pews and their was much friendly nattering , chattering and laughter .
 Then we all quietened down to enjoy the Mullion Hand-bell Ringers playing some lovely old favourite tunes . They must have played about 6 or seven pieces and  it was truly delightful ! I especially loved the old Welsh song The Ashgrove  .....that gave me the tingles , it was really lovely !
 This was followed by a Poetry recital by Doris R.Townsend . I loved the way that she introduced each of the three poems that she has written , as well as hearing her read them to us . That made it so special .
 I think that many of us who love  Cornwall , our gardens and the wildlife that come to visit , can relate so well to her poems .
 Doris has given me copies of her poems and has given me permission to share them with you here . I will give you the first one today . See below :)


 Then we were invited to take home some cake for a donation . Which was really nice to take some cake home for my husband , even though his mouth was a little numb still from the dentist, he still really enjoyed his piece of cake !
 What a wonderful table spread full of delicious cakes and biscuits ..we have  some great cake makers here in Mullion !


 Wendy gave me a copy of the Mothers Union magazine to read and the next proper meeting will be 20th June in Saint Mellanus Church .
 The meetings are always on a Thursday , which coincides with my dance class , but I might be able to go if no one minds me slipping away early to get ready for dance class ....not sure ....we'll have a think about that ....

                                 ........ and maybe I'll meet you there !

 Mothers Union is a growing international organisation with 4 million members around the world . United in prayer . Money raised going to help young families and projects both locally and far away .


So I sat in my kitchen with my cup of tea , reading the "Families Worldwide Mothers Union Magazine"
It shows a lot of what they do far and wide around the globe .
 I'd like to know more about what they do for our more local young mothers and families .
 I very much enjoyed the Mothers Union Open Afternoon ...thankyou to everyone who organised and also took part performing in it .

                                               ( Birdie in my kitchen )

 And now I will share with you Doris R.Townsend's - May Promises - poem .
 I think that many of us who love  Cornwall , our gardens and the wildlife that come to visit , can relate so well to her poems .
 Doris has given me some copies of her poems and has given me permission to share them with you here . I will give you the first one today .                 

                                                  May Promises

                                  The colours are truly amazing
                                     as blossom is promising fruit .
                                First rain- then sunshine is blazing-
                                  as seedlings send up a new shoot.

                               The blackbirds, now busily worming ,
                                      almost get under my feet .
                         Their nestlings are squeaking and squirming ,
                                  each wanting much more to eat .

                                The hedgerows are gently vibrating
                                      with bees as they set to work .
                                 Two jackdaws are loudly debating
                                      as they leap about with a jerk .

                               All nature is stretching and waking ,
                               the clouds overhead shed a shower .
                          The scent of fresh raindrops , thirst slaking ,
                            delights all who pass this moist bower .

                               As courgettes , tomatoes and runners
                               reach up with new shoots to the sky ,
                          the thunder-heads sound distant gunners ,
                                     and a rainbow arches nearby .

                                  I stand , with my prayers uplifted ,
                                   and wait for the Western blush .
                                 When daylight has faded and shifted
                                     it leaves a calm evening hush .

                                        by Doris R. Townsend

                                Birdie with her babies in my garden .
 So now I must go and do some more plant out my Physalis seedlings up in my vegetable garden .  I hope you are enjoying all this lovely sunshine  !

No comments:

Post a Comment