Monday 29 April 2019

The Cuckoo has Arrived in Mullion !

      Apple blossom in full bloom now , Me thinks it will be a good year for Apple harvest .
       
Up early 5.30 am .  I can hear the Cuckoo !

   I have just been outside to throw some bread out for the birds . The Cuckoo has arrived in Mullion ! All the way from Africa !
 "  Summer is icumen in  !  Lhude sing cuckoo ! "  written in around 1226 ...we use to sing this in rounds , back in the day , when I was at school .
I hated singing that song...but now I appreciate how old it is ...I quite like it....but I prefer to hear the joy and cheekiness of little children singing it  !

  Another early traditional rhyme we were taught was this one  -

 In April I open my bill
In May I sing night and day
 In June I change my tune
In July far far I fly
 In August away I must

I,m sorry there is no photo of it ....I have seen it occasionally  , but never when I have my camera handy ....it is very similar to a Sparrow hawk .
The Cuckoo lays it's eggs in the nests of other birds ....I hope it doesn't disturb my Blackbird's nest .
   Anyway !   Listen out for the Cuckoo today !

No comments:

Post a Comment