Monday 29 April 2019

I,m growing Avocados !


 Back in January , For the first time ever in my life I dared to try eating an Avocado .  It just looks horrible , green , brown, wrinkled , well , you know how it is when you're a child . My 7 year old grandson wont even try cheesecake...because , he says " I don't like cheese !" and runs off with his hands over his nose . Dearie me !  He will be in for such a treat when he eventually tries cheesecake !
 Anyway , so with that in mind ....I tried eating Avocado ....hmmmm......not brilliant ....but so many health benefits ....I need to try more recipes with Avocado .
 What I really do love , is the idea of growing that gorgeous stone in the middle !


 I remember my mother growing one back in the 70's, she stuck cocktail sticks into it and placed it over a jar of water. It them produced it's root and then the shoot and then she potted it up . My mum can grow anything !
 But why the cocktail sticks ? Seems a bit cruel ! Why not just plant it in nice compost/earth in a pot  or outside in the ground even ?
So I thought I,d give it a go . I put two into a pot of compost in a margarine tub inside a ziplock bag on the bathroom windowsill .


 I wrapped another one up in thick wet tissue inside a ziplock bag on a tray .....


                                  ......and put it into the airing cupboard .


 I put another one on top of a glass jar of water on the kitchen windowsill .
Four months later and here we are ....nothing is happening to the potted in compost ones and no sign of anything happening to the one on the jar of water ....


..... but I peeked into the airing cupboard and opened up the bag ...and lo and behold ...... both root and shoot !


                          Here's a better look at it ! Isn't that beautiful ? !
                                                    I,m so happy !


                              So off to the greenhouse to pot it up ....


From what I have read about growing Avocados stones , this is the point where it can all go  horribly wrong ...people say that their stone rots and that's it...game over . . I,ll be careful with the watering.
I think I,m in more danger of snail and slug damage .....although I didn't mean to put so many slug pellets on it...the lid fell off !
     Fingers crossed..I,m looking forward to seeing it's beautiful leaves .
Have you ever grown an Avocado ? Did you find it easy  ? Any tips for me ?
I will do an update later on . Cheerio for now .

1 comment:

  1. Hi Deb, I have tried growing an avocado tree,but didn't get far with it. But you have inspired me to give it another round. Next one I buy ,I'm going to give it another try. Just wanted to thank you for visiting my blog faithfully. Blessings to you and yours

    ReplyDelete