Wednesday 10 October 2018

Hop picking fun !


 A couple of years ago I had a bumper harvest of Hops from the several vines that I have about my garden . I use them to make Hop sleep sachets and pillows .
 The ones I am holding in this top picture ,  may be just a bit under ripe and still look a bit green to me , they need to be just turning brown around the edges .


My Hops are left to scrabble about on a couple of  trees and they are easy  for me to reach and one called "Fuggles " an old English variety which I have in a large tub ( but it really needs to be in the ground )
The ones on the trees are the lovely golden yellow leaved  Humulus lupulus " Aureus" . 


 This year despite the lovely summer , not such a large harvest , as  you can see here on my little kitchen table .


             Enough to twist into a pretty wreath and to stuff one small Hop Pillow  .


 Stormy weather coming tomorrow and over the next few days , glad I came across my hop vines today or they might have been blown away  !
 Our storms are not so bad , but we hope there's not too much damage .
  We are watching on the news the progress of Hurricane Michael in Florida ,over the other side of the world .
 Please get yourselves to a safe place and take care of yourselves , your children and pets ,while there's still time . Our thoughts and prayers are with you .
      Speak again soon ! Daisy x

1 comment:

  1. I didnt realise that hops grew in Cornwall. They are so pretty used as garlands or wreaths.

    ReplyDelete