Tuesday 23 May 2017

Germinating Sweetcorn


 I had failed  twice this year with sowing sweetcorn in pots . No idea why..They are usually so easy !
   So yesterday , I decided to try one more time , but using the plastic bag method .
 Basically you put a layer of tissue into a dish/saucer, cover with another layer of tissue make really damp with some water  ,slip into a plastic bag an leave on the windowsill for up to a couple of weeks .


                                     Mine only took a few days to germinate .


                    I decided to pluck a few of these out and pot them up into 3"pots .


         Here's one I have plucked forth to show the white root and little green shoot .
            I made a shallow hole with my finger and carefully lowered the root down into the seed compost with some added perlite ...gently covered over leaving only the green shoot  showing above . Gave them a little watering . Just enough to settle them in .


I potted up 12 and these are in the " Solar shed " (husband's shed :) but I am beginning to take it over ! ), which has a very large sloping window , is warm , but doesn't get as hot as my greenhouse . I,ve put the rest of the seeds back into the plastic ziplock bag..hopefully I'll get a few more to germinate .


 So then after all that strenuous veg gardening , we took the dog for a walk  along the cliffs of Mullion .

It was such a lovely day yesterday , sunshine and just a gentle breeze . Blue sea and blue sky . The kestrel was patrolling back and forth overhead .


 The Bluebells and violets are fading and all the early summer wild flowers are taking over .


 The beautiful wild Gladiolus byzantinus  grows here along the cliffs ,it's one of my favourites .

                                    It is the prettiest time of the year for sure !

 
                 This is another of my favourites  the Spring Squill or Scilla verna .


                                  We were delighted to see this Slow-worm !


                                         We gently put him into the long grass .


 We watched the waves down below for a while , cares and worries blowing away in the breeze .

  This morning we are hearing of more sorrow on the news . My thoughts and prayers are today for all those who are suffering because of it .
                    My God !    Surely don't we all just want to live in peace ?


                                               Blessed are the peacemakers .

No comments:

Post a Comment