Wednesday 10 February 2021

Winter has arrived here 9th February


 It is very gloomy here and we,ve had a few snow flurries , but mostly sleet and icy cold  rain . 

The wind grew increasingly stronger in the afternoon , by the evening it was a howling gale and bitterly cold coming from the East .


I harvested the kale ....


...... and a pile of lovely Bleu de Solaise Leeks .I love how they colour up purple in the Winter .


I got them rinsed , sliced and bagged up into the portions that I will use over the next few days and into the fridge .

I have been watching this tray of Leek seeds on the windowsill and today I can see they are germinating !

This time next year I will be harvesting these !



O.k.  I get SO excited about my leeks seeds germinating !  


So the wind blew stronger and colder and I dashed up to the greenhouse to make sure that everything was properly covered .


Sheets of newspaper , fleece and blankets carefully laid over everything . Insulation up on the rafters and car windscreen protectors along the East facing side .


Windbreak mesh fastened on hooks across the door and you can just see the glow from the lantern which is on an old breeze block on the floor .



It was a very cold night as it turned out . No snow , no frost , no ice on the bird bath ....... just cold ..... blinking cold !

           Steaming hot Pasties for lunch !


1 comment:

  1. Your plants looks so comfortably snug in the greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete