Thursday 5 March 2020

St Piran's Feast Day . It's time to sow sow sow !

                                                 In the shed .
 I have begun sowing seeds . There are trays and pots of seeds everywhere . The Sweet peas and Leeks that I started on my bedroom windowsill , came up very quickly , but there was no sign of the Chillies . So I decided to take all of these out to the solar shed to begin hardening them off .
 I was a bit disappointed about the Chillies, but not quite given up yet .
The Chillies would germinate much quicker in a propagator .
 So , I ordered a heated propagator the evening before and am very excited as I,ve never used one before and have been too skinflint to buy one , but now tis done and I wait excitedly for the postman to call !  :)
I have put all my onion sets into little modules , just until the ground dries out a little bit more . It also gives them a bit of a boost and they will have some roots growing which will soon get a hold in the earth and help prevent the birds from pulling them out .   You can just plant them out , but this is what I like to do .


 I have some kale plants from seeds I grew end of last Autumn . I,m growing these in large pots under cover and taking leaves from them to mix with our salads and for cooking .


Today I went up to the shed to check on everything and very surprised to see that the chillies had germinated overnight !

                                  How much energy in those tiny seeds !
       
Delighted ! Now I,m going to sow some more , different varieties .


        These little dibbing and pricking out tools come in very handy .


 I have pricked out four of the Chillies and ten Leeks and will leave the others as I need to go and collect some more compost .


 In the greenhouse , it is nice and warm , which is good , as on the shelf I have sown some very special Tomatoes .  Medwyn's New variety "Y Ddraig Goch "F1 Tomatoes .  The Red Dragon and I sowed them on St David's Day . It seemed like a very good day to sow them .
  The greenhouse is full of my cacti and Epiphyllums , not much space left . So the photo above is taken looking down at the floor , where I have a tray full of Coriander and Dill . I sowed these yesterday .There are some for us , some for my daughter and some for my friend . I keep going to have a look for any sign of movement , but they should be up in a few days .


                       Happy St Piran's Day to all my Cornish friends ! :)

                                        St Mellanus Church in Mullion

2 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures and I must start with my Chillies and Tomatoes now!
    Have a lovely weekend...
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  2. we have made a very tentative start.

    ReplyDelete