Monday 30 March 2020

Onions


Things are happening out there in the surrounding fields . I can hear tractors !


I decided to pull up the last remaining leeks .Time to sow more . In fact mine are already germinating and I have potted on some of them .
 With all that is going on right now I am planning to sow even more to help feed my daughter and son in law's young family too if I can .


 We have enjoyed having our own Leeks . These , the last of them are on the small side but I need the space now for other things and if I left them in the ground , would probably bolt now anyway .
 So I pulled them up , gave them a swish and a tidy up and took them in to the kitchen .


                             Time to plant out those lovely onion sets .


 I had got them started in these module trays so the roots get a head start and when I have them all planted , the roots fast get a good hold and don't get pulled out by birds who think the new shoots are worms .


                Bobbin the Robin watching me as I plant the onions out .


Planted and put the grids over them and a wind flapping thing to discourage the birds from pulling them up .


                                          That's another job done !


                          Bobbin the Robin had quite a feast as I worked .


   I stood up to stretch my back and have a chat from a good safe distance with my next-door neighbour .


                                             Bobbin the Robin again .


 I checked to see if anymore of the Tomatoes might have germinated .
                       Nope ......just four . A bit disappointed .
              So I have sown some more , different varieties . Fingers crossed .


In the potting shed I pricked out and potted on some of the lettuces, coriander and dill .
  My back was seriously beginning to hurt now so , time to go in .


 Except I still had to put everything away and that always catches me out  .


 Half an hour later  after lovely hot shower , I made a mixed vegetable cheese and onion flan with new potatoes and salad . The flan will do us for several meals .
   I do the washing up , then flop !
I,m doing some embroidery at the moment , nice and relaxing before sleep .


2 comments:

  1. Nice post and pictures. I planted my onion sets out a week ago, and so far only had one pulled out by birds. Take care. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, really like the pictures of Bobbin

    ReplyDelete