Saturday 15 December 2018

Garlic Solent Wight ,Senshyu Onions and the Keyhole Veg Bed


So meanwhile up in the veg garden , I planted out this bag of disappointingly small Solent Wight Garlic cloves .
 Sleep my Garlic babies and meanwhile  put down your roots into the good Earth in readiness for the new season .
The Winter Solstice is December 21..when the days begin to grow longer again !
 This is the African Keyhole veg bed in which I grew all my Pumpkins and Squashes this year .
     The bed itself is looking a bit scruffy ,this is because I have thrown seaweed and cardboard over the unused areas of the good earth to keep the weeds down and feed/prepare the earth for  next years growing season .
   I need to re-weave the basket around the watering hole in the middle . ...the idea around that being that you can make a shade or "sun hat" to go on top of it to help prevent the water from evaporating in the hot sun .
 It is a great way to grow veggies , especially in areas where it is hot and there is little rainfall .  It has been very successful for me .
  My keyhole bed has to have chicken wire around it to keep the rabbits out ...I love our beautiful English wildlife and believe that we can live in harmony .
 Strangely when the Squash vines climbed out of their enclosure , the rabbits were not interested in eating them anyway !
 At the back of this bed I planted Senshyu Autumn planting onions , there are also Amish and Egyptian walking onions permanently walking about in there too .  I have Parsley whichI need to get a cloche over during the colder days and a couple of Lavender bushes ,
  So that's my little African Keyhole Veg bed update .
 I will update you on the rest of the veg garden soon ..my camera is playing up..need to get it fixed !
  If I dont get back on here before the big day , I wish you all a Peaceful and blessed Christmas .
   

2 comments:

  1. I just love your top picture! So much character.Some might say idiosyncratic. I like the way you treat your lawn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roger , It's actually a labyrinth ...it certainly make cutting the lawn more fun ! Happy Christmas to you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete