Sunday 28 July 2024

๐Ÿซ›๐Ÿ…๐Ÿฅ•Very happy me ! ๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿซ›๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿฅ’๐Ÿ…๐Ÿฅ•

 

                                           ๐ŸŒฟVery happy me ๐ŸŒฟ

Supersweet 100 F1 have given us plenty of tomatoes for breakfast , but now seem to be dwindling , actually they are bigger than the two in this picture  and they are sweet to the taste . 

No idea why those two are so minute ! I'll keep feeding and watering them , I think I will be pulling these out soon ....but the Alicante toms are now beginning to producing a lot more .


Alicante tomatoes  or "normal sized tomatoes as my other half calls them . Very reliable  .We will use some now and hopefully lots to  halve , open freeze , bag up and into the freezer to enjoy later on .

Roma tomatoes  are going to follow on from Alicante , as I decided not to grow anymore than two reliable varieties....but then changed my mind and thought I'd try something new and I love plum or egg shaped tomatoes ....they look so beautiful for a start and I am told these taste good .

I took off a select few of the lower leaves to allow more light in to the tomato fruits . Roma is a very strong growing variety , that's for sure !

The cucumbers had a bit of a break it seemed , but are now producing again , thank goodness because Cucumbers are now very expensive to buy in the shops . Home grown ones have much more of a refreshing taste . 

 Sweet Pepper "Corno di Toro Rosso" Organic- I took off a good pile of them yesterday .

  Some red , some green and some in-between .

More are coming ,which makes my husband very happy . He really enjoys them . However I will be processing many of them to go into the freezer .  

Sweet Pepper "Corno di Toro Rosso" - they have done really well for me  this year . Especially as I have been really mean with the size of pot and amount of compost allotted to each . I tried to get away with using as little compost as I could get away with . It is so expensive ....actually it has reached the point of being too expensive now for me .

Also I have been very disappointed with the quality of all the bags of compost that we bought in .

I will be trying to make more of my own compost in future . 

๐ŸŒฟ The poor farmer makes weeds ๐ŸŒฟThe mediocre farmer makes crops ๐ŸŒฟThe skilled farmer makes soil ๐ŸŒฟ   Kosho Uchiyama  from  Opening the Hand of Thought  ๐ŸŒฟ

So what else did I do ?


                                                     That wretched bramble ! 


Kneeling on a foam kneeling mat ......

I had to pull out all the slates and flat slabs of stone that I had put all around the base of the now huge Agave salmiana ferox ....and nothing is ever as simple a job as I think it is going to be ..because now I can see several off shoots/pups that need to be taken off ....and really should have been taken off back in the early Spring . They would have come away far more easily back then . 

The wretched bramble came out fairly easily with me wearing protective gloves .... but the pups are always so much easier with bare hands to feel for the roots ....

So there I am now lying down on the unforgiving sharp gravel , feeling around like a midwife for as many roots as I could get for each off-shoot .



                            While there , I pulled off the dead leaves  .




Shark teeth and sharp spikes like daggers .



I managed to take three little monsters .....and one little one which might not make it ...the runt of the litter .


Off up to the shed . I got them potted up , with not as much grit as I would have liked , but it will do for now .
 Then back to tend to the mother Agave . To put back all the slates and flat stones around her bottom to both warm her and help shed away the rain  .

 I just wanted to wack those slabs back in place and go and nurse my injured arms and enjoy a nice cuppa tea .

Only there was now another little problem ......

                           Face down in the gravel , view - looking under the Agave .

 So I spend another half an hour lying down on the gravel again trying to coax out Mr Toad   ....and another ten minutes trying to get up again ..  knees ! 




                  Hope you are all having a nice weekend  ๐ŸŒฟ☀️

4 comments:

  1. I too suffer getting up after a spell in the garden, age is unkind to us, your garden is looking lovely and a fantastic harvest, sadly I have very little to harvest at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your garden is always so pretty ! ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ

      Delete
  2. Our tomatoes are hopeless this year and the pepper plants are still tiny. The photo of an arm full of courgettes look like me at our neighnours doors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some years are like that aren't they ? My courgettes were a total fail last year ......and the year before too ! ๐Ÿ’๐Ÿ

      Delete