Friday 19 July 2024

Onion harvest ๐Ÿง…๐Ÿง…๐Ÿง…

 

                                Hover-fly and the Great Mullein 

Yesterday was very warm and sunny . ☀️I can't work in the garden when it is this hot  .☀️

I did get a huge load of washing dry on the line , which really pleased me . I don't have a tumble drying machine . 

I also don't have a dishwasher and quite enjoy washing up the old fashioned ๐ŸŽถ"for hands that do dishes"๐ŸŽถway in my cheerful lime-green washing up bowl full of lemon scented bubbles with my yellow rubber gloves . And through the kitchen window I enjoy watching the blue tits, goldfinches , robins and squirrels on the bird feeders .....and  the occasional woodpecker . The blackbirds come in for grapes here ....then fly over to my friend's garden where they dine on apples and fat-balls ! 

Washing up time , is time to quieten my mind . 

However I do appreciate someone else grabbing a tea-towel and giving me a helping hand .

Sorry - that was a bit of my waffling on  .....

Back out into the garden , I'm enjoying all the wild herbs and this is one of my favourites .

  I love the stately Great Mullein  with it's velvety soft leaves . 

   It pops up wherever it will and the bees love it . ๐Ÿ

                     It is my flower of the week !


                        ๐Ÿค  Looking deeply meditation time ๐Ÿ•Š️


Then work to be done .  The weather is changing ...rain coming tomorrow ...may be heavy rain with some rumbles of thunder thrown in......as they say !

I decided to take up the pathetic onions and get them on a rack to dry in the shed . 

If I do a close up photo ....I could pretend they were lovely big onions ! ๐Ÿคฃ

   But the truth is ,  they are all just a pathetic bunch of tiddlers !


                                                     lol !


                             The log pile is growing !   We are so grateful !  ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿป๐Ÿค๐ŸŒฟ


While I was taking up my onions , I noticed a couple of parsnips coming up ! 

Very surprised to see them . Of course that little sprunch of leaves might just be only one parsnip !

Made me chuckle ! 

I threw down a whole packet of seeds back at the beginning of March or thereabouts .

I had given up on them ! But now .....well .....  ๐ŸŒง️⛈️๐ŸŒง️....hmmm ......

Hopefully , if we get the forecasted rain tonight/tomorrow , it might help to germinate a few more !

         ⛈️   Hoping for rain again ...sorry everyone !  ⛈️๐ŸŒง️⛈️๐Ÿคฃ lol !


                                        Have a great weekend ! xxx 

                                        

 





6 comments:

  1. So much of the veg garden I had given up on, but some bits have started to recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad things are recovering for you . There is still plenty of time for sowing and growing . I'm determined to process as much of it as I can and either use it or chop it up and freeze it this year . It's been lashing down with rain here this morning ⛈️๐ŸŒง️๐ŸŒฟ

      Delete
  2. I have a dishwasher called, Martyn. Our onions are still growing, It will be a month or two before we left them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ๐ŸคฃOh you made me laugh ! lol ! I have just finished chopping the biggest of my pathetic onions and got them into the freezer A free flow packs . ๐ŸŒฟI have snipped up all the fresh green leaves to bag up separately for when I make champ or colcannon . I don't know why I hadn't thought of doing it this way before . I might process my celery next . ⛈️๐ŸŒง️Maybe I should have waited a bit longer before taking up my onions ..hhm....not sure .. Have a great weekend ! ๐Ÿ’

      Delete
    2. We lift our onions when the tops bend over as that is a sign that they won't put on any more growth.

      Delete
    3. Yep you're right , I think I could have left mine for a bit longer . ๐ŸŒฟ☀️x

      Delete