Wednesday 28 June 2023

Leeks Finally Planted 🐝🐝🐝

 

7am ...Mizzle ! And hopefully the promise of some rain later in the week . So I decided to plant out my Leek babies .


Tidied up the Rhubarb which had a huge fern and clump of stinging nettles growing right in the middle of it and gave the Perennial Kale a bit of fresh earth to cover where it's stem had flopped over and was now beginning to take root . I might actually move it to somewhere else in the garden .

The ground is so dry , but I feel that they are now best planted out . It has been easier for me to water and  bring them on in the shed .


The earth too hard and so dry  that I decided to use this bulb planter and make a much deeper and  a more substantial hole to drop them into . I also kept most of the compost on their roots and gave them all a good handful of fresh compost . They had a good drink before being planted out and each one another good drink to settle them in .

I got the idea of using the bulb planting tool from Cliff and Diane of the YouTube Channel - Castle Hill Garden . It  cuts nice and easily into the hard dry earth , makes it so much easier for me .

Always great advice from Cliff on Castle Hill - Highly recommend you go take a look at his channel .

So this was slightly different to the traditional and usual way I do it  . Got to keep them well watered and this is so difficult for me with the hose-pipe ban  ...carrying watering cans .


So I gave each one a good drink to the top of each hole and I will give them another drink this evening .


Fixed up the chicken wire , there was just enough to go around the leeks to keep the bunnykins out  . I don't think the Rabbits would eat my Rhubarb ..they haven't touch the Perennial Kale  . I'm not sure I like Perennial Kale either ....but you know , it's there , just in case , along with the Egyptian Walking Onions , Dandelion and Nettle-leaves . 

Actually I quite like Nettle-leaves ......

Anyway ......

Two hours ! It took me two hours !   


I pulled back the netting from over the courgette plants , while I was planting out the leeks , to let the bees and other pollenating insects  in . 

                
                                    Happy little Hover-fly !


                           Happy little Courgettes !


                                   Happy ( exhausted )  little me !


1 comment:

  1. Well done . They keep promising rain but nine arrives. Just spits and spots

    ReplyDelete