Saturday 16 April 2022

Sweet Peas from a late November Sowing - Spring update - April 16th 2022

 

O.k. So it's time to take a peak at the Sweet Peas that I sowed towards the end of November last year .

I just pushed the seeds into the compost in this tub , watered them in and covered with a sheet of fleece over Winter . 

It gave me great joy to see them all germinating by Christmas and then I just pretty much forgot about them all through those wild storms , they were slowly and silently growing away in there. 

From what I could see , there are some pretty strongly growing plants in there .


They have been quietly growing away under wraps , over the Winter .

I wanted to unwrap the fleece , check on them and may be pinch them out a bit to make them bush out more .


Ooh ! First little Ladybird of the season . I moved her further inside the wigwam ,because she might still be hibernating . I,m not sure , but she can always crawl out again and fly away if she wants to . 



Wow ! They are much bigger than I expected them to be ! 


I snipped some of them back .....


.... and weeded out the Chickweed that was really growing away in there .


The only other thing , is how dry the earth is in there . Hmmm ..... I could water them , but we are forecast rain tomorrow afternoon  . So I think I'll leave it to Mother Nature .


I also decided to leave the wrapping fleece off tonight ....the plants look quite strong , but I will keep an eye on the weather reports and have the fleece wrap and string at the ready , in case we should get a storm or gale warning .  
 If we don't get the rain tomorrow, then I will water them myself with rain water from the water-but .

This way of growing them  from seeds at the end of November definitely works better for me than growing them in the Spring . 


This last photo is of the Sweet Pea wigwam last Summer . I can't wait to see and smell them again . 
             I love Sweet Peas !    


1 comment:

  1. I adore sweet peas, but they don't grow well in our clay soil, I might have to plant some in a pot.

    ReplyDelete