Saturday 31 October 2020

End of October Vegetable Garden Update


 
The weather is wild , windy and wet .

It's that muddy ,wellington-boots time of the year again !

I haven't posted anything for a while on here , due to having hurt myself . Pulled/torn a tummy muscle . Ouch ! I cant lift anything and I cant even reach up even to hang something on the washing line.....hurts !

 The doctor has organised physio and I,m waiting for a scan ......and my Flu jab .
 Difficult times right now for anything hospital related , the physio is by phone and over the internet and I have to say how I,m doing with each exercise everyday , so there is no getting away with it .
                            

So I,ve only been pottering about doing light garden jobs really .Which is very frustrating when I usually am very busy at this time in the Autumn .
 It was very hard work planting out my Garlic sets yesterday .
  See the picture above . I normally would have weeded out the grass and brambles that are growing around my African Keyhole Vegetable Bed , but pulling hurts , so I just weeded half of this bed and got the garlic in the ground .The other half of this bed I am covering with cardboard and all the spent compost from the tomato and cucumber tubs .I think I will just just keep that side covered from now on through the winter months .


We had torrential rain over night and  this morning .I dashed out to check on my newly planted Garlic sets .I thought they might have been washed away , but all is well . They've had a good watering in !

We had some of the Carrots that I am growing in this bed , they were both sweetly fragrant and delicious . 
Leeks and Onions doing well . I have a perennial Celery plant that my friend gave me in this bed , only small at the moment but looking happy enough and enjoying all this rain !


A medley of veggies under the netting . I have begun pulling some of the biggest Leeks . Ouch !
 Lots of different brassicas in here too . I have sown more cabbages up in the solar  shed .


In the shed I,m growing succession after succession of Winter Lettuces .
 I am also growing Lettuces ,Pak Choi,Coriander, Dill and spring Onions in the Veg Trug outside  . I have covered that with environmesh now , just to shelter them a little bit from the gales .I did take a picture of that but it was very blurred .....oh you want to see it ? ........ oh here you are then  ! ....


..............complete with planks of wood and bricks to hold it all down with and a plastic sheet wedged up at the end to protect it from the wind . You get the idea ! lol !
  I have a beautiful Strawberry plant in here too , which I,m hoping will put out runners so then I will have even more Strawberry plants :) ..but right now the other salad plants are doing really well and giving us a good variety of leaves for our salads and sandwiches .


                     Winter lettuces and good old reliable Greyhound Cabbages .


Every time I walk up to the greenhouse , I see the Buzzards resting /sheltering on the ground in the meadow . I try to remember to take my camera with me and walk very quietly ....but there is always something that I forget ....such as not wearing a bright red cagoule might help ! 
 I see Buzzard . Buzzard sees me . I take blurred photo as he flies off , turns to take picture of other two ......and they,ve gone too ! 
 Also I need to change over to my new camera , as this one is dying on me now ! New camera is waiting in the wings ! Keep forgetting to do it !


Our daily walk , along the cliffs of Mullion , is becoming colder and windier now . We will probably find somewhere a bit more sheltered inland to walk through the Winter months .


We saw the Choughs again the other evening , but it was getting dark as the sun was setting , so not a brilliant picture of them this time .


                                  The next storm coming in over Lands End .


                                       Always a beautiful sunset here .

       Wishing you all well , take care and stay safe . Go and have your Flu jab !

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That is very kind of you Andy , thankyou :) I,ve sorted out the new camera and have been taking a few practice shots with it today :)

      Delete
  2. I hope you are soon on the mend it must be so frustrating. I remember walking along that coast on summer when it was raining and blowing a gale. I think it was that coast. It was the time the Fastnet race was on and many boats/yachts were affected, It was really scary and we ended up like drowned rats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful when it's wild here ...you just have to make sure you're well wrapped up ! :)

      Delete