Sunday 21 June 2020

Busy , busy , busy ouch !


We took a walk along the cliffs and watched the squalls coming in , we thought that we might have to make a run for the car but it soon cleared well ahead of us .


It has been like this for a couple of days now  .
We had some heavy rain here last night  .
Just what we needed to refill the water-butts and refresh the garden .


The postman left a parcel in our box and I was delighted on opening it  to find one very generous sized Epiphyllum  var "Acapulco Sunset " that I had been so excitedly waiting for . Actually it arrived super fast !
 I immediately set about potting it up .
 This is only a temporary pot as it turned out to be too heavy for me to lift . Also the compost that I bought recently turned out to be complete rubbish and I am waiting for another bag to be delivered which I,m sure will be much better .
  I mixed the small amount of compost with some lovely earth from the bottom of our compost/bonfire heap and gave it a gentle watering in .


 I bought it from Bilsdalecactus on Ebay UK . I have had some nice plants from them over the years and this time I wasn't disappointed either . A very healthy looking and generous rooted cutting indeed !


                    It even has another shoot coming up from the bottom .
It is a lovely variety with yellow flowers flushed with red towards the centre .
 I cant wait to see the flowers !


 I lifted it up onto the shelf amongst all the other Epies . It was at that  point that  I realised just how heavy the pot was ! Ouch ! I must  have  pulled a muscle !
 Anyway it can stay there for a while now , until I can find another pot and a good bag of compost . It looks happy , maybe it will be o.k. after all .


I had intended to plant out the last lot of Leeks  but I,m hurting too much at the moment, so I have been doing some less strenuous jobs instead .
 The Blueberries are fattening up with all the lovely rain and I thought it might be best  to cover it over with a net now before the berries fully ripen and the birds take them .
  I have also managed to find some Ericaceous compost at last . Another re-potting job to be done . I,m just waiting for that to be delivered too .


 It is only a very young plant/bush but I can see that there are enough Blueberries to make some muffins with , coming along  nicely .


It is the Midsummer solstice and we are tidying up and redefining the bottom edge of the Labyrinth which has become a little out of shape .
 I have been asking people what they think .


                                      Does it  look better with a tail ?


                                             Or without the tail ?


                Another  little job to be done , is potting up my mint cuttings .
The sun was shining so bright it made my pic of them appear in silhouette .
They have been on my kitchen windowsill for a couple of weeks  now .


   There , that's better , I have put them onto my little kitchen table to take a closer look at them.
The one on the left is Peppermint and the one on the right is Chocolate Peppermint ( It smells like After Eight Mints ! Oh ! My  goodness gracious me Heavenly ! )

   I want more  ! I don't care if it spreads I love it ! The bees love it too !
So look ,they have roots already ...I will pinch out the tops to make them bush out  , pop them back into their water pots  and I will pot them up as soon as that nice compost arrives .
        Hurry up Mr Postman !


I noticed that my Aloe striatula  is flowering . I grew these from seed that I,d gathered . They are quite easy to grow and do very well here on the Lizard .


The Cornish Leeks are flowering too , here and there in our Cornish hedgerows .

                                                    Mullion Cove
          We ended our day with another walk and another beautiful view .
                         Weather forecast - hot weather is on the way !


I,m going to put my feet up and do some stitching . Have a lovely day all !

2 comments:

  1. Blueberries definitely need netting or there would definitely be no blueberry muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the pain of your pulled muscle has gone. Your Labyrinth looks amazing, I prefer it without the tail. Has the predicted thunderstorms reacged you yet? It was good to have the water butts full again after last week's rain. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete