Saturday 7 October 2023

Garden update - October

 

                                   Monkey Puzzle dedicated to Jane Goodall 

Sorry everybody , I am not too well at the moment . I haven't been doing very much in the garden and not felt like being on the computer very much either .

I thought I'd give give you a little garden update .

I guess the most important thing I've been doing this year is planting trees and doing this especially with Jane Goodall in mind . She is encouraging us all to get planting more trees .

Read all about it here -

 https://janegoodall.org/make-a-difference/janes-green-hope/

I dedicate this Monkey Puzzle Tree to her . I grew it from seed along with 5 gingko bilobas .


 

                                  They look a  little lost planted in there at the moment .


                                               The leeks are still looking good .


     
I took down the bean poles and harvested lots of Butternuts .


I dug up the two Musa Red Ensete bananas , put into their large tubs with lots of fresh compost to get their roots into . The roof in the shed is clear corrugated plastic , so they get lots of light . I gave them a drink .but that will probably be the last drink they have until Spring , however I will check on them from tome to time over winter . I don't cut their leaves off . They are standing on pallets and surrounded with polystyrene around the tubs . I have done this for years now , they'll be fine and I can enjoy seeing them whenever I go in there .


The Agaves .....hmmm.. I need to start thinking about protecting them too .This one is quite a tough guy and should be fine .

This one however needs protection and I will clear back all the plants around it and put a cloche over it ,they take a bit of cold , but don't like too much rain .

That's all for now  . Thankyou for all your kind messages after my last post .
                                                     Love Debbie xxx

                      



2 comments: