Saturday, 22 August 2026

Beans and Peas

    I decided my work for today would be to tidy up the beans and peas bed .

  To climb in there and pull up the speedwell and chickweed and the pretty scarlet pimpernell .     

These are the good weeds !  I leave them to grow around and beneath the hazel rod bean teepees .They really help to keep the moisture in  and we had a really good harvest of  the French Climing Beans ...but it's time to have a clear out and get this bed ready for my brassicas and leeks .


                          Our Beans have been brilliant !


               We've had lots to eat fresh and some are in the freezer .

The Peas were fantastic . I have never had so many ! Enough for proper portions to have for dinner ! 

             Really pleased and I'll be growing these again next year .

 But today they are turning crispy and exhausted and it's time to pull them out .


 So I climbed in and spent about an hour hanging upside down grasping and pulling weeds πŸ₯΅ and picking a few beans to eat and some crispy pods to sow again next year .  Actually I'm leaving the french beans in to save seeds from now really .
 Over there in the background are the potato tubs , just to the left of that rusty old incinerator....these are doing really well too !
 This is our second planting of potatoes .  Our first Spring planted lot have been beautiful ..still got one more tub to furtle through !   πŸ˜ƒ


 Ricardo Lord Protector of the Spud Tubs has four more tubs on the go for Christmas and mid-winter potatoes ..... fingers crossed !
In another bed I have parsnips also for Christmas !
 Planted on the 8th August this second lot of potatoes are doing well and have  already been earthed up a couple of times and are looking like another top up might be required .

  ❄️ We generally don't get frost here ....Lots of  ⛈️ alarmingly wild , violent and destructive storms ⛈️ ....but usually no snow or frost . ❄️ Don't get me wrong ..it gets cold though ! ❄️

  If need be Ricardo will drag them under cover . The woodshed has a clear plastic corrugated (and leaking) roof . So plenty of light and the stacked wood gives off some warmth too . 
  I over winter quite a few plants in here too . Goodness I'll be digging up my Musa ensete "Maurelii"  banoonahs again soon ....towards the end of next month . 
  You might think that is a bit early but I dig them up and plant them up in  really big tubs with lovely fresh compost mixed with a bit of pearlite .They go into the corner of the woodshed . I give them a good drink of rain water and just let them get their roots down  and put up new happy leaves and look fabulous . As we go into the colder times they get less and less water , I allow them to go almost dormant  .
      Later on I will lash polystyrene sheets around the tubs .  
             I do that every Autumn and they are fine .
 I leave Musa basjoo outside in the ground . I only put a cloche over it if there is a weather warning and take it off afterwards .
 People , please remember that I am way down South on the Lizard ! 
If you live up country , then you will need to look up what people do up north !  
       
               I will do a post showing exactly what I do later on .

 So there we are , a whole wheelbarrow load to save and go onto the pumpkin bed with cardboard and seaweed and lovely rotting leaves .

 The Runnerbean bed also needs replenishing  .


My sweetcorn has done nothing and my Runnerbeans well .....you can see ....they are only just starting to climb up the poles  ! 
   I am hopeful of having a late harvest  , I think it's not too late for them .
 Ricardo says "I don't like them anyway !"
    The price of vegetables in the shops is going sky high though now . He will be glad of them later on .
      £2.00 for a cucumber is ridiculous !

        
         We had some rain .....so a bit of happiness for the wildlife .


That's all for today ! 
   I am aching and need a flop and a nice glass of icy cold chocolate milk .
Going to do some embroidery and maybe a bit of patchwork ....we'll go for a walk later on .

                              Peace and Love  πŸ•Š️πŸ’•

                                        Love Debbie πŸ’x
                      

                         


No comments:

Post a Comment