Tuesday 7 May 2019

Zantedeschia aethiopica Arum Lilies


               One happy busy bee making her way to my Arum  Lilies .


Originally from the marshlands of South Africa , introduced to Europe in the 17th century . In my Cornish garden it does not seem to mind where it is planted , damp or dry soil . The ground never freezes here and if we get a rare frost , this plant will collapse but then soon revive again .
During a heatwave I might give it the occasional bucket of water .
 Although in some parts of the world this can be invasive , the clump beside my front gate has been there for about 15 years and has never been of any worry to me .
                       I love it !


 I have planted this gorgeous plant in several places around my garden .


Often used in wedding bouquets , the flowers symbolise faith , purity and holiness .

                                         Happy little Honey bee !

2 comments:

  1. I have one of these but it doesn't grow really well so I have popped it in the piddle pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems to do well in any soil or compost here , but is said to to especially well in damp and boggy places as a pond marginal plant. It should be very happy :)

    ReplyDelete