Sunday 29 July 2018

Hot and dry , then comes the rain !


The hot weather is making me feel so tired and I have hurt my back from carrying watering cans ( my husband's discovery of the old hoses in the shed came too late ! )..I am up early 5.30 am to walk the dog while it is still cool and then again late evening along the cliffs .
We walk along this footpath ..... and always stop to rest and admire the view over the gate at the top .


                      This is my favourite Mullion view over the old farm gate .
   You can see how dry everywhere is here .
Then we had a "weather warning "....we used to call this quite simply  "a weather forecast " ..for strong wind and rain !


 So I put out all my house plants to catch some rain ...sorry , that's a bit of an over crowded picture isn't it ? lol !  Click to enlarge my pics by the way .
                     Schlumbergeras , Haworthias and lots of Gasterias .


                                                I love Gasterias ! :)


 I am very mean to the Gasterias  , I rarely water them , but this coming rain will refresh them greatly .


It rained during the night and the wind was strong ..we were worried about the fence blowing down again..but the trees and bushes that I planted on our side of the fence did a good job of buffeting the wind coming in from the South...together with the expensive concrete post that I put in .
   The hot weather is forecast to return , so I rushed to plant out our leeks and all the brassicas that I have grown from seed , sprouts , purple sprouting broccoli and cabbages .These have been waiting in the wings until we used up all the lettuces that have done so well here this year !  This way of doing things seems to have worked out really well ...... apart from the no rain thing .


 I have carrots and lettuces just beginning to come up from a second late sowing..I also have sown today quite a long row of spring onions .
 I haven't been so successful this year with Leeks . I use a lot in my cooking I love their mild flavour , so I,m trying to grow more onions and will use Spring onions too in my cooking instead when the Leeks run out .
 There are a few Celery plants in here for my son in law , who loves his celery and peanut butter .


My beautiful black kale is growing taller , I gave everything a good watering in too .
 My back is aching terribly !
 I have finished my work in the veg garden today by putting another environmesh cloche over everything ,to keep the pigeons and Cabbage White butterflies off them .The whole bed is surrounded with chicken wire and canes .


 Although we got some quite heavy rain last night ( we didn't get any thunder and lightening ), it is still quite dry just below the surface of the earth  in my garden. The puddle where I stamp about to wash my wellies , is evaporating  fast .  We need more rain !
  I put out fresh water for the birds and other poor thirsty creatures .


                          Over all the garden looks refreshed anyway .


      This evening's walkies..looking the other direction towards Gunwalloe .
    A cooler less windy night will ensure we all have a better night's sleep .

1 comment:

  1. I'm so thankful for the rain! My roses had stopped flowering but are beginning to come to life again.

    ReplyDelete