Friday, 25 September 2026

Just Pootling about in the Greenhouse 🌿


  I had strict orders not to do too much today . So I thought I'd just pootle about in the greenhouse . Make a start on getting it ready for the winter months .


The cucumbers are still coming but I need the space to get the Agaves under the bench .

I cut them down and dragged out the pot/bags . Tipped all the spent compost into the wheelbarrow . Folded up all the pot/bags ready for next year .
On top of the compost pile you can see one of my Epiphyllums .

                                       Epiphyllum "Lollipop"
             I needed to sort it out it has a touch of the mealybugs .
It is a healthy looking plant and has amazing flowers , so I don't want to lose it .
                 I think I have got to it just in time .


Took down all the paracord strings . Tied them into neat bundles ready to use again next year .



I repotted that Tumeric into the next size up pot .


I tidied up this Agave americana  . I noticed it had an offshoot / pup growing out of a tiny hole in the bottom of the pot . So I tipped it out . In fact I had to cut the pot to get it out !

 
            And this is what I found ! Lots of offshoots !  
I gently pulled them all off and I have set them aside to callous over any roots that I might have damaged in doing so . I'll pot them up in a couple of days .

                                          πŸ’š Agave salmiana ferox πŸ’š
Look at this beauty ! Shiny , dark green , bitey sharks teeth ! 🦈🌿

The thing with Agaves is as soon as you pot them up into a bigger pot , they very quickly grow and fill it . Small pot/small Agave .


                                         Here's one I grew earlier !


                                I think it might flower next year !

Anyway, back in the greenhouse I'm still pootling about ....


           Look ! The Sweet Peppers are producing a few more fruits ! 
   I will leave these for a bit longer . Very pleased , Ricardo loves them !
Epie pollinating and propagating update - 


                                      Almost ready !


                  Also almost ready . Need to colour up a bit more .
I will take the seeds from these in a couple of months time and start them off on the heated propagator on my windowsill . It will be fun to see what we get .


I was saddened to see this Rhipsalidopsis rosea was falling to pieces at the back of the greenhouse bench . I hadn't realised it was so close to an open window .


It's going to be o.k. though.....I can save it !


                 Some of the pieces have already put out roots ! 

I had just started to pot them up when there was an unearthly scream from the garden .....also ...I noticed the sound of the strimmer had stopped . ...memories of my neighbour Sue telling me how she had strimmed the top of her finger off came flooding back 😱.......I ran as fast as I could .....  so there he was sitting in the middle of a huge thicket of brambles , arms ripped and bleeding (but thankfully with all his fingers ) , completley trapped and unable to get out . Said he'd fallen down a hole .

  Now knowing he was o.k .....

I asked if I might take a picture for Facebook .....I always ask first ....
       he said " No ! "
 "Go and get the loppers !"  


He was stuck sitting in there and it took me ages to snip and lop all the brambles to free him .
 I managed to get him to roll out onto his side , I couldn't lift him no matter how I tried .
  It was only with the help of that garden kneeler contraption he finally got himself up  !


Now up and laughing and nothing more than a bit of TCP couldn't sort out .....cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit !  
 
                                     Just look at that crater !  🀣

                                        Peace and Love πŸ•Š️🀍

                                            love Debbie πŸ’x

                                                            

 











No comments:

Post a Comment