Monday 15 October 2018

Busy Planting Trees Acers and Liquidamber styraciflua


 I have five little Acer saplings which I thought would look great along the North facing garage wall . I have kept them in pots for a couple of years in the position where I would like them , just to be sure they would be happy there .
 Also so that I could pick out the ones with the very best Autumn colour .
I can see them from our kitchen window and enjoy their loveliness .
 Yesterday I decided to make a start and I weeded and recut the shape of the bed, bringing it out more to give their roots more space and improve visually the shape of the lawn .

 On the other side of the garden is this very gloomy looking area ....under the enormous Pine tree (where our two resident Ravens and Owls live ) .
 It is the so called " bottom of the garden ".. a place that has been a bit  neglected really . Our tree surgeon recently took down a few of it's branches to make it safer to walk under and also to let in more light underneath .
 The fence is ugly to look at , so I,m going to fill the area  with colourful trees and shrubs .

                                 Now imagine this lighting up the space !


 It  just so happens that I have one little Liquidamber styraciflua sapling waiting in the wings .

       It was hard work digging the hole for this ...but I got there in the end .
In the Spring and through the year it's leaves are emerald green , then turning yellow, scarlet, orange and purple in the Autumn .
      The leaves have a beautiful fragrance when crushed .                     


   My favourite kind of a tree and another place for the birds to sit and sing !

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about what others are planing for their gardens . . . so inspiring :) That first photo of the garden gate is so pretty . . . lots of Autumn color, too.
    Sweet post!
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Connie ,Yes me too ! :) The area behind the gate was once just a horrible useless, dark and damp corner behind the garage ....but I turned it into a lovely secret fern garden , with unusual ferns a couple of tree ferns and a few other damp and shade loving plants too....we put in a seat and I loved to go and sit in there and read a book...lovely and cool for me on hot summers days. While I was poorly it got a bit over grown and so we are presently working on restoring it again .... and then I,ll open the gate to show you...lol ! Thanks for popping in and your kind comment . Love Debbie x

    ReplyDelete