Sunday 23 February 2020

Veg garden update - I cant believe its 23 February already !


                    Still harvesting leeks sprout tops and celery .
    We were a bit disappointed with the Kalettes ,I grew them from seed . They are still very small , but maybe they will get bigger as the weather improves .
 My neighbours are twice the size , his were starts , probably grown in a polytunnel so they had an earlier start .
This is the first time I,ve tried growing them . I think I,ll just stick with my favourite , more reliable old Kale varieties in the future .
  O.k I,ll give them a few more weeks !
 My sprouts were good though , I picked lots for the freezer and now we are enjoying the last few fresh Sprout tops , they are really good !


                     The Leeks have been good and still lots more to come .
 On my windowsill upstairs I have a pot of Leek seedlings just germinating now .
 Sweet peas are also germinating which makes me feel so happy ! 
 I,m getting ready to sow lettuces , other leaves for salads, more spring onions  and tomatoes next  .
  Potatoes are chitting away nicely on the windowsill and I have a delivery of Onion sets on the way .
 In the veg trug -  the veg trug is full of spring onions, we use lots , but they are looking very battered after the big storms that we,ve had recently , I hope they will pick up again .
     Hey !  Lets be happy ! .....March is nearly here !
       

2 comments:

  1. I’ve frozen leeks and parsnips too for when we can’t get to the plot. Rather freeze them than let them rot in the soggy ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your frequenting updates on your vegetable garden has become the reason for my regular visits to your page dear Daisy Debs. I have learnt about gardening and its techniques that I have personally implemented and succeeded by following your page. Thank you for giving us readers about harvesting leeks sprout tops and celery and the excitement of welcoming March for a better harvest.

    ReplyDelete