Monday 2 December 2019

First Frost Mullion Cornwall 2 December 2019


Yesterday evening looking across the meadow . After a glorious sunny day with blue skies and no wind at all , not even the slightest breeze ....I just knew that we were in for a very chilly night


So I gathered together my candles , matches and newspaper at just about dusk ....


                                   .......and got all the plants covered over .


I stand some of the more tender ones on sheets of polystyrene for a little extra warmth .


                           I lit two candles in the lantern for the night.


 This was about an hour ago....me wandering around the garden in my pyjamas and dressing gown . I couldn't wait to see the frost !


                           As you can see the sun wasn't even quite up yet !

                                    I took a walk around the labyrinth .

                Ah .... but one should enjoy these simple childish delights !


Looking across to the veg garden , this is where I have planted garlic and leeks .
Some little creature has made a home for the winter here ..I put a broken pot over the top to give him a bit more shelter from the rain .   Maybe a toad !


                On wards round the labyrinth , Jack Frost has danced !

                                   You can zoom in to see those crystals !

             Sleeping Primroses encrusted with beautiful frosty crystals .


  Frosty compost where the worms are taking the goodness down to warmer lower levels where microscopic organisms are busy breaking it all down and mixing it all up .

                  The Leeks are tough and can take the chill temperatures .


  There was ice on the bird bath . I,m so pleased with myself for remembering to wrap the outside water tap !


                                          The ice was not too thick .


        I easily managed to break it up , so the birds can come and drink .


   Over all it was not too heavy a frost , but I wanted a record of when our first frost was this year .
 This will all be gone very quickly as the sun comes up .
I know that for some of you Jack Frost dances all day !
      Brrrrrr.....I,m going in for a nice cup of tea and some brekkers !

2 comments:

  1. Hello Daisy Debs. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest in dancing. Your blog post has beautiful pictures of first Frost on 2nd December. I love getting connected with teh people of God around thte globe to be encouraged, stregthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 40 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokeneharted. We also encourage young and the audults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come to Mumbai with your friends to work with us as well as learn Indian dancing too. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest bessings on you your family and friends also wishing you a blessed and a joyour and a Christ centered coming New year 2020. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Outside in pyjamas - brrrr! It was cold enough wearing a coat! Our bird baths were frozen. We thaw them with boiling water which of course cools quickly so no birds’ toes are burned. They seem to like jumping in when it’s still a bit warm.

    ReplyDelete