Sunday 16 October 2016

Harvest Festival


 I slipped into the near by sweet little Church of St Grada  , on the Lizard in Cornwall , not  for any service ,   but to quietly  give my own thanks to God for the sun and the moon , the rain and the good earth , that all helped to produce my veggies , fruits and flowers in my own garden this season .
 It was nice to see the Church so beautifully decorated for Harvest  Festival .
                I especially loved this basket of beautiful vegetables .


We plough the  fields and scatter , the good seed on the land , But it is fed and watered by God's almighty hand; He sends the snow in Winter , The warmth to swell the grain, The breezes and the sunshine , and soft refreshing rain .

All good gifts around us  , are sent from Heaven above ,
 Then thank the Lord !
O thank the Lord !
For all his love .


I loved the Harvest Festivals of my old school days . We would gather in fresh  fruits and vegetables and make up pretty boxes which would be delivered to local homes for the elderly  and other good causes . We also would bake our own bread for Holy Communion and there would be one really beautiful loaf made in the shape of a sheaf of wheat ,which would have pride of place at the foot of the Altar  .
 I,m the generation that played guitars , clapped and bashed  tambourines  ....." Bake us the bread , Mary, Mary ! " and   "Give us Joy in our Hearts " " Go tell everyone  !"  and for the little ones  " He's got the Whole World in His hands " , but there would also be some of the good old traditional hymns sung  too ..usually accompanied by the school Orchestra  ....dearie me .....memories come  flooding back !


                        Quietly I slip back out into the glorious Autumn sunshine .
                                       

         At home I have the last of a bumper crop of tomatoes ripening on the kitchen window . These are the Marmande tomatoes that my blogging friend sent me seeds of back in the Spring . They were very successful in the Vegtrug and I will be saving the seeds  from one of these to grow again next season .
  Gardeners Delight also gave us a bumper crop . I just have one Cherokee Purple left growing in the greenhouse with one tomato on it ..I sowed these too late really after my husband brought seeds  back  from America .....but I am determined to get at least one tomato from it !

                                       Hope you,ve had a bountiful harvest !

2 comments:

  1. I will send you some new Marmande seeds as I have another packet, easier than saving seeds. If you would like! They are wonderful tomatoes, and the last one of mine has just ripened on the windowsill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No really , you are so very kind , but they are so easy to save the seeds !....We grew them outside in a Vegtrug ...they were so much bigger than we expected and I can tell you they are delicious too ! I will definitely grow Marmande again . Thankyou x

      Delete